5 Ways to Prepare for a Stress – Free Summer Move
Moving doesn’t need to be so stressful. Just follow our tips for a stress-free move!
Moving home is believed to be one of the most stressful life events you can go through. It’s incredibly time consuming and it takes a lot of careful planning and organisation. Moving can certainly leave you feeling utterly exhausted! However, it doesn’t need to be so stressful and distressing, just follow our tips for a stress-free move!
- Moving checklist – get started early
The more you can do in advance, the better. As soon as you know you will be moving, you can begin. Make a list of everything you need to do, and add a timescale, so you’ll always know what you need to do and when you need to do it. Even before you have a definite moving date you can start to get quotes from removal companies and begin de-cluttering your home to make packing easier. Order in plenty of packing materials well in advance, then they’ll be there ready when you need them.
- Prepare your new home ahead of time
If it’s at all possible, it’s so good to get into your new property before you move all your belongings in, so you can decorate, get the carpets cleaned or just give the place a good spring clean before the space is cluttered up with furniture and boxes.
- Beware common packing mistakes
Learn how to pack properly and you’ll save yourself time, and potential damage to your possessions. Here are tips for making packing easier…
- Make sure your boxes are strong enough – If you’re packing something heavy such as books, it’s a good idea to buy specialist book boxes as many ordinary boxes are just not strong enough and will give way as soon as you pick them up.
- Don’t overload your boxes – Make sure you’re not filling your boxes so full that you can’t lift them or injure yourself attempting to move them.
- Get a hanging wardrobe box – Moving clothing is so simple with a wardrobe box, simply move the clothes to the box, then back into the wardrobe when you arrive.
- Take time with delicate items – Take care with fragile items, use bubble wrap and tissue paper to make sure they get to their destination intact. Get some ‘FRAGILE’ stickers to put on the boxes to remind yourself, and let others know that they need to take extra care with this box.
- Keep all essential information in one place
Any important items you’re going to need should be put together so you’re not searching through every box for that one thing you’re missing. Important paperwork should be kept together in a file, and keep a box of necessities. Tea and coffee, snacks, pet food and bowls, tissues and toilet paper, your kid’s favourite toy. This will save time when you arrive.
- Stay organised and unpack the necessary things first
Once you arrive, surrounded by all those boxes, it can feel overwhelming. The trick is to have an unpacking list ready and focus on the most important things first. You’ll want to make sure you have the beds and bedding ready for the first night in your own home, as well as cooking implements and some clothes and toiletries. There’s no need to unpack ornaments or hang pictures just yet. Get the home functioning then you can add in the non-essentials box by box over time.
Columbia World-Wide Movers take the stress away
For the ultimate stress-free move, check out Columbia World-Wide Movers. They will handle all your packing and unpacking, and will carefully transport all your belongings. They will provide all your packing materials too. No matter how large or small your move, or how far you are moving, Columbia World-Wide Movers are here to help. Discover more and get a quote on the Columbia World-Wide Movers Website.